Thursday, April 30, 2009

JP/Josiah, Pit Bull, Flesh-Eating Wonders

Geez, So It Goes
(One time I was yelled at by my dad for saying geez - It's too close to Jesus)
This is my son, Josiah (JP). He is a long-hair soon to be Larry Norman and a fun, introspective kid. His mom recently had a bike race in Prescott, AZ. That's about a two and 1/2 drive from my place in Chandler. For about the first time in three years, Josiah invited me to visit with him over the weekend last and that was way cool. Last I saw him was the Monday after Thanksgiving in 2005. About 3 1/2 years. I got to visit on Friday and had to leave for patient visits on Saturday. I should have stayed in Prescott, but planned on making the drive back late Saturday to stay over through Sunday and visit some more. We got to touch base, anyway, on Friday - played frisbee, ate and kicked back.
Pit Bulls look cool, but you see that chain? There's a reason for the size of the thing.

On Friday late night after Prescott, I went over to check on my friend, Chuck and relax at his place (Chuck's whole family is the coolest). I stayed over there and Saturday morning helped him with some stuff to take to his other house. They have side-by-side houses. Their Pit is chained to the tree near to the second house (a big chain like the picture). So I was helping Chuck, he was to my right and Cindy (wife) was a little behind and left. So we were moving to the other house and out of nowhere the pit went and launched into my right leg just below my calf. I didn't feel anything except I saw the dog chewing on the leg. Cindy went into action and I think scared Prince (pit's name) off my leg. I went and hit something with my head trying to get away and we rushed into the house.
Cindy ripped off my shoe in the kitchen area and there was blood gushing everywhere. It was crazy. Chuck wanted to duct tape my flesh together and we agreed on wrapping everything up in a paper towel and then duct taping then agreed on hospital. Cindy threw out my totally bloody sock. I started to get that white pale, I don't know where I am feeling and don't remember much after that excepting I was glad I didn't let Chuck put that tape directly over the wounds.
After everything, I was out of commission for two straight days. I remember eating a burrito and spilling cheese all over myself on Saturday night. We never called Elsie and Cindy and Chuck took care of me with a hobbling right leg after the different trips and stuff. They took me home on Sunday late and Elsie was all frustrated. She later took care of all the bandages and then did the house cleaning. Then when all my meds wore off the leg started to really really really hurt. So it goes.
I still think Prince is a good dog. I feel kind of bad about bleeding on Cindy's carpet and tile. I hope she's not mad at me. Lo siento.
I had planned to make it back on that drive to Prescott, see some patients, and it was all botched. Kabosh. A Wash. Not-a-This-Time. I figure either I should have stayed in Prescott or I was saved from a massive pile-up on the drive. Either/Or. I do know I lost a lot of blood in the process, received this gaping flesh wound, and missed out on extended visit with JP.
I called Josiah on Monday and got yelled at by his mom and she requested a picture of my bandaged wounds. I understand that, I guess. I don't know if she understands the trauma when I think of my side (if there be sides). We had a pretty fair time on Friday. Also Prescott is a pretty cool place although a bit of a drive.
Six days later I'm still trying to navigate stairs and not walk like a gimp. Its worse after I haven't been up and walking for a while. And its a pain changing the bandages.
Oh, another thing crazy. On Friday my phone display stopped working and does anyone remember phone numbers anymore? Then later the power went out. Had to trade the numbers and go to the other phone. I sure hope my better successes are right around the corner. Either that or maybe I'll start teaching or something.
Life's an adventure. Ups and Downs and All-Arounds. If I didn't know how to laugh, don't know what I'd do. One thing is now checked on my to-do list - Pit Bull attack - I don't advise it, just so you know. I can be your proxy/stand-in if its on your to-do.

No comments:

Post a Comment