Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Friend Will

http://www.fnchiropractic.com

Today has been so busy. Its very strange that, even when you don't think you are busy, it isn't so. My new practice growth appears to be in the beginnings of creating possible great relationships. Had a busy morning and then I don't know where the afternoon went....and its my off day excepting for marketing and meeting.

This morning I almost made it on time to Toastmasters. If time exists, that is. Whether time exists or does not exist is still in question according to my quantum thinking. I would say that time is like money. They are both different species of imagination. But, anyway, the people I decide to gather with have an agenda early in the morning when coffee is my favorite item on the menu. The "time" doesn't matter. I was five minutes late according to a clock driven by atomic generation. I probably need to get going five minutes sooner next week.

On the way to Toastmasters, I listened to talk radio commentary sort of. What I really did was get over anxiety of possibly having to be called on to speak in front of these people and my internal dialogue went through about five scenarios and I got over my junk. My scenarios went through some things probably not appropriate for christian public speaking and all the way to varying clinical experiences. None of it mattered just like in most of our internal dialogues and the meeting had a theme on movies anyway. I still haven't read the direction booklet on Toastmasters and I hope to get that done so I know what to do in that service since I don't have a clue about all the clapping and stuff. Maybe in the earlier five minute wake-up next week I will read those books and directions. Or hire a coach. Today I did get to at least say the Pledge of Allegiance which I haven't said since the sixth grade. It was like riding a bike.

One of my scenarios I went over while making the journey was one I kind of stuck to and thought a little more about. It was this time about two years into my practice and I was presented with this six week old kid, Jakey. The mom, Nikki, was struggling because J was not eating, always grimacing and just kind of curled up. I guess this was going on for a while and the MD visits and stuff all pointed to the kid being healthy and everything. I don't know, but if the mom is concerned and loses sleep over her kid who has little to no reaction to life, I call that a problem. So I adjusted a couple things on the six weeker, J, and that was it. I thought that was it, anyway. I think it was a Wednesday. About 10:38pm I received a call from Nikki and she was all emotional and stuff and said that Jakey was eating and smiling and acting like a normal kid and she was so excited. My response: I really didn't have any that I know of. It was an expected outcome and I know that I know that I know. It was as I expected and that was it. When I think about it, I "feel" like I should have been jumping up and down and shaking people's hands, waking up the neighbors to tell them the good news and then schedule the ticker tape parade down Tulsa's main street. I didn't and that's just how I am I guess. Takes a little bit to get my motor running. I'm not even sure what that little bit is. But I tell you what, when I think about being a part of getting a six week old kid's power running, it makes tears well up. A good feeling.

So I had a meeting after a meeting after a meeting and this was with my good friend, Will. Will and I had a sort of agenda. I'm interested in seeing his new business doings and also interested in making sure that he and his own are doing okay. I know he's interested in getting my business and also I'm fairly certain that he does have genuine interest in the heart of my matters since he tells me what he sees and doesn't hold back on laying down the faith.
We met at a Starbucks and one thing we discussed was this little thing about Jakey and my reaction, or lack of, and he pointed out that God made me as I am. I'd have to say this is true. How the Jakey story was opened was because, while we were talking, Will stopped conversation and stated that he couldn't "read" whether I was interested in what he was saying due to my lack of expression. I knew exactly what he was commenting on and brought up this little story of my little patient. Will's comment about my demeanor being a God make-up was pretty cool. It takes an understanding person who is patient and kind to comprehend that kind of thing and put it together the way that he did. I genuinely appreciated that.
As a teenager I was thought of as "stuck-up" because of my posturing. It was nothing but, but considered so. It was only those who sought further who actually ever discovered the truth. Those who have sought have discovered a lifetime friend. Can't get much better than a lifer.

I'm not totally sure, but I think my responsiveness is more and more and continually in progress of learning. Something that kind of seems to put a temperature on my responsiveness to certain stimuli seems to be something in me that says Solomon was right in Ecclesiastes that nothing is new under the sun. Also there seems to be an element I gathered from my friends, the Soderman's, when they had a motto of revenge to "expect it when you least expect it". So response and active excitement seems to be cultured by many influences and mine tends to be blank in waiting and attentiveness for what I know is yet to come. Sounds a bit strange and not even yet superfluous, in my opinion. It is what it is.
About ten years ago my mom coached me in small talk at a Red Robin in Bear Valley. I still don't quite understand that one. Someone trying to coach someone in being a total fake talking to others about nothing that matters and assuring someone else that what you're saying affects the universe and I really will meet with you again at the end of the rainbow. Doesn't make sense as I know sense. One thing in my corner on all of this stuff is knowing how Frankl had stated that we are all a work in progress and, as we all learn, sometimes things may change how we view different circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment